5 Unforgettable BBQ Chicken Recipes
5 Unforgettable BBQ Chicken Recipes
There are many instances in the life of a bland food-fearing human, where you need to cook a meal, but you aren’t prepared or have not planned for it.
In these situations, as in so many others, we must turn to the saviour, our master, the sensei to our culinary efforts, Smokey Q and the trusted, ever-reliable Barbeque or Barbie.
Too many times when partaking in a barbeque, we are subjected to bland, overcooked chicken, whether our own barbecue or someone else’s.
A BBQ is a time-honoured Aussie tradition, friends and families gather for a delicious cook-up under the summer sun. However, during this BBQ, the barbecuer carelessly throws their chicken, the lord of all meats, onto their barbeque, with little to no seasoning whatsoever. This results in a bland, uncomfortable and chewy chicken.
And just like that, a barbeque is ruined.
This is because the BBQ chicken is king; steaks and sausages are his subjects. Therefore to ruin a chicken is to ruin the entire barbecue. However, to nail the chicken results in a beautiful, perfect day out for the family, complete with delicious food. To ensure that this is the case, we turn to Smokey Q. If the chicken is the king, Smokey Q and his rubs and Sauces are the king's robes, ensuring he is always cloaked in flavourful gold. Below we will lay out five BBQ Chicken Recipes that require minimal effort but guarantee maximum flavour.
Four of these recipes are beautifully simple, and one a little more involved with slightly more preparation, giving you a variety of choices whatever the barbecuing situation. All of these BBQ Chicken Recipes ensure you will never get caught looking down at a plate thinking, What If? What if I just trusted my gut and purchased SQ Sauces or Rubs? Well, then you wouldn’t be stuck with bland and unseasoned chicken. What if I had just saved, downloaded, or screenshot one of these recipes for BBQ Chicken? Well, then you would be a master barbecuer, prepared to BBQ the perfect chicken in all circumstances. And if you have just realised your mistake and need some Smokey Q products urgently, or if you open the pantry and despair because you have used all of your Smokey Q rubs, don’t worry, we have express shipping, and delivery times are very prompt.
Chicken for a BBQ
As mentioned, a BBQ, barby q or Barbie is a quintessential Aussie tradition that has provided delicious food for our families for generations. Whether at Christmas, a birthday, just some mates getting together, a family gathering, or even just a solo BBQ for your enjoyment, this charring of deliciously crispy meat is one of the cultural traditions that connects our communities and loved ones.
In the world of Barbecuing, there is no more incredible feeling than devouring a crispy and tender piece of Chicken. The crispy skin bursting with mouthfuls of flavourful juices is the primary reason that we love a big family barbie. Juicy steak or slow-cooked pork ribs are wonderful meats in their own right, however, they are not as universally appreciated as a perfectly barbecued chicken.
Which Cut of Chicken is best for BBQ?
At Smokey Q, we understand that the glory of chicken takes many different forms. Different variations of barbecued Chicken always take the centrepiece of any bipartisan barbeque. In this way, a well-done chicken can make a barbecue for the ages, however an under seasoned or overcooked chicken can make you the laughingstock of the gathering. The quality of the barbecue rests on the quality of the chicken. This responsibility to create a perfectly tender, crispy chicken can be overwhelming.
Because where do you start? The list of options is very long, Butterflied Chicken, Maryland, whole spinning chickens, voluptuous breasts or juicy thick thighs, meat on sticks to crisp wings and drumsticks. So many options, so many recipes, the cuts and combinations are never ending. It can be overwhelming to decide exactly which is the best chicken recipe for your BBQ. However here at Smokey Q, we would hate for you not to feel like you did not have this under control.
Because the skills required to master a perfect chicken are not, in fact, godly.
A mere mortal can achieve the same crispiness and delightful flavours that you see on a cooking show, or in a magazine. Simply follow our recipes to ensure that every time you go out to the barbecue you are plating up golden crispy goodness.
We revere a tender chicken breast, juicy and seasoned to perfection, however we also understand the beauty of a quick and easy crispy chicken drumstick, zesty, spicy and aromatic. Our recipes account for all of these varieties, giving you the perfect range of skills to create a barbeque that will go down in history.
Barbecuing Chicken with Smokey Q
Finally, the key to any chicken, whether a quickly prepared drumstick or a lovingly marinated breast, is the flavour. This is where Smokey Q rubs and sauces come in. These perfectly balanced, original and unquestionably premium Aussie BBQ rubs and sauces will turn your chicken and your barbecue from a possible failure, into a legendary cook-up. When combined with any chicken cut, these rubs and sauces can elevate your barbecuing chicken powers to a godly level.
The Smokey Q rubs and sauces will mean that the next time you proudly don your cricket cap, your footy jumper, slide into your favourite pair of flip flops and head out to the BBQ, you can be completely confident in your ability to cook the perfect chicken. Or when the kids are yelling, “mum I’m hungry”, you can reassure your motherly instincts, knowing that they will be served a BBQ chicken of the highest quality.
To conclude, these recipes give you the ability to create a mesmerising barbecued chicken that will go down in Australian folklore for years, if not centuries to come.
So without further ado, here are 5 ways to create unrivalled barbecued chicken, the envy of all your fellow barbecuers
The best Recipes with Chicken for the BBQ
The recipes to follow have come from depths of All that is required is a quick easy and affordable marinade or rub in any of Smokey Q’s rubs and sauces, such as
- Sweet BBQ Chicken Tenders with West Australian Smoked Honey
- Tangy BBQ Drumsticks with Sriracha BBQ Sauce
- Beautiful Korean BBQ Drumsticks With Zesty Australian Salt Blend
- American-style char grilled BBQ Thighs with premium Bulls Head BBQ sauce
- Crispy baked Chicken Wings with Spicy Chipotle
The ridiculously diverse range of flavours that are presented by this chicken breast recipe are something that must be tasted to be believed. The combinations of siracha for that spicy tang, a little dash of garlic, some lemon and pepper, make this breast an absolute necessity for any gathering in which you would like to flex your barbecuing muscles.
The blend of flavours are topped off with Smokey Qs Burnt Bees Smoked of pure, Smokey West Australian honey, fired, smoked and packed with the essence of native Murray River Redgum wood chips. This extra dash of Aussie goodness elevates the breast to a new level. This is no ordinary chicken breast. It is a symphony of flavours that were meant to be together, bringing out the best in the chicken, and turning an average BBQ into an experience that will be remembered by all your mates, your kids, as the day they were “awakened” to the wonders of Smokey Q Barbecued Chicken.
Sweet BBQ Chicken Tenders with West Australian Smoked Honey
- 750 gm of Chicken tenders
- 4 tablespoons of Smokey Q Smoked Honey
- ½ cup of Bulls Head BBQ Sauce
- 1-3 tablespoons of or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon SPG
- Fresh coriander and Lime wedges garnishing
Honey BBQ Chicken Recipe Method:
Here's what you need to do:
- Use a large zip lock plastic bag and add your chicken breasts tenders.
- In a separate bowl, add your ingredients, including smoked honey, barbecue sauce, a drizzle of lemon juice, SPG salt blend and Bulls Head BBQ Sauce, making your ultimate BBQ chicken marinade.
- Then, pour the mixture inside the plastic bag over the chicken breast tenders.
- Seal the bag tightly and then shake the bag, ensuring the chicken is evenly coated with the ingredients.
- Put the bag in the fridge for at least an hour for marination. We recommend keeping the bag overnight in the fridge for extra delicious chicken tenders, but even an hour is enough if you run out of time.
- Once you are prepared to cook your chicken, preheat the outdoor grill at medium-high heat. Grill your chicken for at least 8 minutes. Flip the chicken at the 4-minute mark to ensure it's cooked evenly.
- Once your chicken is cooked, simply garnish it with your fresh herbs, and you are ready to serve your delicious, sweet, and tangy chicken.
Tangy BBQ Drumsticks with Sriracha Sauce
This powerful ensemble is bound to rock the Kasbah, the chicken drumsticks created from this recipe leaving you shocked in their simplicity. The time-honoured chicken drumstick is a beautiful thing, hand held delivery for maximal ease when you need to quickly and efficiently stuff your face full of flavourful, crispy chicken.
When speed and efficiency is vital, a drumstick provides you with an easy option for a quick and nutritious meal, whereas on the bone chicken usually takes hours to ensure proper variety of tastes.
With this recipe, you can create the perfect drumstick in a short amount of time without sacrificing any flavour whatsoever.
These BBQ drumsticks are quick to prepare, and results in mouth-watering golden brown chicken, with an unrivalled range of flavours, revolving around distinctive tastes such as zesty sumac interwoven with bold paprika, coriander and oregano contrasting wonderfully with the tender sweetness of brown sugar, the mild tang of a kaffir lime.
Normally this range of flavours would require hours of preparation, however they are all available in our one Smoky Q BBQ Rub. A quick and easy dry marination of the drumsticks in this Smokey BBQ Chicken Rub creates a BBQ drumstick that is astonishing in its flavours, and ridiculously easy in its preparation. A must have recipe in any Australian cookbook, and a must have chicken rub on the shelf on any Australian pantry.
- 10 chicken drumsticks (depending on the size of party)
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Smokey Q chicken rub
- Bulls head Sriracha BBQ Sauce
- Use the Smokey Q chicken Rub blend to season your drumsticks.
- Let the drumsticks dry marinate for at least 1 hour in the fridge. This will dry the skin out helping the ensure crispy skin.
- Pre-heat BBQ or over to 200c for 30 mins then drop heat back too 170c and cook for about another 15 mins until golden brown
- 10 mins before removing from BBQ or oven give them a good lashing of Sriracha BBQ sauce to glaze them well.
Korean and Aussie BBQ Chicken Drumsticks with Zesty Australian Salt Blend
Some of us prefer to be slightly more multicultural in our meal preferences. A particular option that has risen to popularity recently is Korean BBQ chicken. It is a much-loved dish in many Australian households; however, the fact remains that not all Korean BBQ chickens are created equal. This is a dish that requires commitment and determination to perfect.
However, when you taste a Korean drumstick that is seasoned to perfection, tender and juicy with the perfect balance of flavours, it takes your taste buds on an unforgettable journey to the smoky streets of Korea, to the flavours and experience of a true Asian cuisine.
Our Spin on this international sensation is like a beautiful cultural melting pot combining historic Korean and Aussie ingredients to create a beautifully balanced and multicultural chicken dish. Olive oil, sesame seeds, ginger and sriracha combined with parsley and rice wine vinegar to create an irresistible BBQ chicken experience.
The finishing touch is a pinch of Smoky Q zesty salt blend, giving the chicken a signature zestiness of Australian salt, lemon myrtle and garlic.
Korean BBQ chicken has become a household name in Australia, however through this recipe you can harness the full power of the Korean BBQ, and combine it with some signature Aussie zestiness, one of Smokey Q’s unique creations, to create a delightfully flavoursome Korean/Australian BBQ chicken.
- 1 KG of chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon of sriracha or hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ¼ cup of honey
- Smokey Q Zesty Salt to taste
- Start with preheating your oven to a temperature of 200c.
- To make your delicious sauce, take a bowl and mix your soy sauce, ginger, sriracha, garlic, sesame oil, honey, rice wine vinegar, and olive oil together.
- Place your chicken drumsticks on a baking dish.
- Pour the sauce gently over every drumstick. Make sure to flip the pieces and pour the sauce again, so the chicken is completely covered in the sauce.
- Then, in the oven, simply bake your chicken for at least 20 minutes. Brush the chicken with the sauce again after 20 minutes and let it cook for at least another 15 minutes. This will ensure the chicken is juicy and cooked well.
- Once done, take out your chicken and garnish it with some sesame seeds and chopped coriander and fresh sliced chilli.
- Then, sprinkle some of your zesty salt over the chicken.
- Let the chicken rest for a couple of minutes, and now it's ready to serve.
American-style char grilled Chicken Thighs with premium Bulls Head BBQ sauce
In contrast to the delicate flavours of a well-seasoned Korean drumstick, another style of BBQ chicken is the bold explosion of tastes presented in an American style sticky BBQ chicken with our Trademark Bulls Head Sauce. This recipe is based around Smokey Q’s honest, powerful and unflinching American-style BBQ sauce, with hints of tamarind and vinegar. This base provides the depth of flavour from which to build a unique and delicious American BBQ chicken with Smokey Qs sauce, giving that underlying BBQ sauce flavour, developing a rich array of mouth-watering sensations straight out of America's deep south. Charred on a BBQ to give it a crispy, crunchy and Smokey finish, this variety of BBQ chicken is a full-on assault of beautiful salty sweet tangs. A punchy combination of rich American flavours and unique, chargrilled Aussie crunch, based around Smokey Qs distinctive Bulls Head Sauce, this is an unbeatable BBQ option for any gathering.
For that true American flavour we added a few nips of good Bourbon to our BBQ Sauces for glazing to give it that deep rich flavours loved in the deep South of the USA.
- 1 kg chicken thighs skin on bone in
- Smokey Q Honey & Bacon Rub
- Bulls Head BBQ Sauce
- 30 ml Bourbon whiskey
- Pre-Heat the oven or BBQ to 200c.
- Place your Chicken in a roasting tray, and then season it with your Honey & Bacon Rub, let it sit for 10 mins prior to cooking.
- Then cook on 200c until it get some good colour on skin then reduce heat too 170c until cooked through.
- Put some Bulls Head BBQ sauce and Bourbon in a bowl and mix well.
- Before removing from oven or BBQ give them a generous glaze of the bourbon and BBQ Sauce to give them that sweet stick glaze.
Sweet BBQ Chicken Wings with Spicy Chipotle Rub
Finally there are the chicken wings, another vital component in any good barbecuers recipe book. The wings of the chicken can provide an awesome crunch and beautiful crispiness, however they must be prepared properly. A soggy or under seasoned chicken wing is a thing of nightmares, however a crunchy, spicy chicken wing is the stuff dreams are made of. To properly prepare a chicken wing, spice is the absolute key. Deciding on the correct spice can be a difficult thing, however we have the perfect combination of flavours already in our chipotle rub , packed into a small accessible bag, ready to be delicately sprinkled over the perfect chicken wing. Spicy, sweet chipotle goodness with chilli flakes, garlic and onion, topped off with smoky, beautiful paprika. The beauty of a good chicken wing lies in its simplicity, and this chicken wing recipe is ridiculously easy to remember, however the crispy, spicy crunch provided by Smokey Qs chipotle rub is an experience that is impossible to forget.
- 1 Kg of chicken wings
- Smokey Q Chipotle rub
- Bulls head BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fresh Parsley Garnish
- Preheat your oven or BBQ to 210c
- Put your chicken wings in a large bowl and drizzle some olive oil over them.
- Sprinkle the chipotle rub on the chicken wings and make sure they are coated well.
- Place the chicken on the baking rack in the oven and let them cook for at least 30 mins on 210c.
- Turn your chicken and let it cook further for 20 mins on 180c
- Cook the chicken until it is slightly crispy and golden.
- Before removing from oven or BBQ give them a good baste with the Bulls Head BBQ Sauce for that extra sweet spicy kick
The key to becoming a master BBQer lies in the Seasonings and Sauces used place selecting the best ingredients. With the knowledge contained above, you can enter any family dinner party, Christmas gathering, night on the beach, any casual cook-up, knowing that you have the full knowledge and skills to master the important art of barbecuing a chicken. Whenever your friend drops the subtle hint that it might be time for some chicken, you can bring out your glorious, crispy chicken breast adorned in a wonderfully diverse range of Korean spices, or your powerfully charred American style BBQ chicken. Perhaps you will opt for a beautifully spicy, smokey South American inspired chipotle wing. The barbecuing world belongs to the master of the barbecued chicken. However, the key ingredient in all of the above recipes is the harnessing of powerful flavours to compliment the beautiful texture of a juicy chicken. These flavours, or mixtures of flavour, are all provided in our Smokey Q BBQ sauces and rubs. The distinctly Australian flavours that are available in all of our products give the power of the barbecue to you, with a simple bag or jar packed full of distinctive flavours. If your mouth is watering and your stomach rumbling for some delicate, powerful, beautifully seasoned BBQ chicken, then resist no longer. Our website is waiting, and in the products section you will find all the rubs and sauces required to become a BBQ chicken master.